Gallery Oldham is a local authority art gallery and museum in the heart of Oldham town centre. It is open Monday–Saturday 10.00am–5.00pm (last admission 4.45pm) and is closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Gallery Oldham welcomes approximately 95,000 visitors per year.
We have been collecting artworks and objects since 1883 and are still collecting today. The current collections include;
· Over 12,000 social and industrial history items
· More than 5,000 works of art
· More than 80,000 natural history specimens
· Over 2,000 geological specimens and around 3,000 archaeological artefacts
· A Local Studies and Archive Centre
Gallery Oldham has three main exhibition spaces on the second floor. On permanent display is our Oldham Stories exhibition and our Oldham Panorama. As well as regularly changing exhibitions in our galleries and foyer space, our Community Gallery features work by different local artists and groups.
Gallery Oldham also has an extensive engagement programme. We run a wide variety of projects, courses, talks, events and classes, as well as popular family activities and self-guided visits and National Curriculum linked workshops for schools.
Our facilitator-led school workshops provide high quality learning opportunities for primary and secondary schools through:
· A practical session in our spacious Education Suite
· Time exploring the collections and exhibitions in the galleries
· All required materials and resources provided
These are exciting times for Gallery Oldham as work continues to gather pace on our new Heritage and Arts Centre which will transform the original Library, Museum and Art Gallery on Union Street which opened in 1883.